Saturday, May 14, 2011

Watercraft

Remember these?





We’re down to just one, now -- that rotten, soggy, fern-loving motorboat -- after Demolition Dave found a good home for the pontoon.





The fiberglass runabout remains a challenge. I've called boat dealers, sent e-mails to recyclers and posted messages on listservs.

Even the plant manager at the Larson boat manufacturer in Little Falls, Minn., told me they send excess fiberglass to the landfill.

Atomic Recycling in Minneapolis – which touts itself as the grand “green” recycler of waste – sent me an email with this bright "solution":

“The only thing I could suggest is to get a dumpster and put it in there. If you get a big enough one you could put it in whole. Let me know if I can help. Have a great day.”

This is what I’m up against.

It’s a bit mind blowing, especially when you consider that there are more than 863,000 boats registered in Minnesota -- more per capita than Florida. Boats are said to last 400 years in the landfill, a bit of hyperbole, but who's counting?

I told my contact at the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency that we were thinking about sawing up the boat and tossing it bit-by-bit into our garbage cans to be trucked to the waste burner.

“At least it’s upstream,” she said, a bit sheepishly.

No comments:

Post a Comment