Monday, August 20, 2012

The allergens of Loveless

Chris has itchy eyes and is sneezing up a storm (which sends Chipper into a brief state of apoplexy). I woke up this morning with a puffy eye and cheek after a day of cleanup.

I’m not complaining. It’s more glorious exploration, as far as I’m concerned, to see what has erupted on the groundcover-free Loveless hillside since spring.

One prize: what seems to be the world’s tallest dandelion. It’s probably a close cousin, whose nice yellow flowers were broken during a Saturday rain.


Spiking at 5-feet. Any ideas?
We’ve also got plenty of butterweed and ragweed, the scourge of sensitive noses everywhere. I was heartened to read that goldenrod is wrongly accused of causing allergies. I have lots of it on the north side, and I quite like the look of it. As I was researching it, I chuckled at the descriptions of where it likes to grow … “disturbed areas” or “roads, ditches and waste areas of North America.”

Pretty much describes Loveless --before we started bringin’ the love, of course.

At any rate, these weeds may not long for the earth (at least until next year). Now that the retaining wall is built, I’ve hired a landscaper to grade the hill, bring in some top soil and throw down some grass seed.

In the landscaper’s words, we need to “stabilize” the site before we can do much else.

No comments:

Post a Comment