Thursday, July 24, 2014

Around the lane for Lane



More than two dozen of us Loveless Lakers gathered last weekend for a memorial walk around the lake to honor our late friend and Loveless Lake dynamo, Lane Burke, who was killed in a car crash last fall.

It was my first trip around the entirety of the 3-mile path -- a cobbled-together route through the woods, mostly on gravel roads, with a couple of sprints through easements on private property and several connectors on major thoroughfares. I can’t wait to do it again and pay better attention.

I figured I was bringing up the rear chatting with Don, a longtime Loveless Laker who, at 74, still plays competitive softball and apparently can still cut a rug on the dance floor.

But when I got back home, I heard from Lane’s widow, Lisa, who said it took her nearly two hours to get around the lake because she made so many stops to visit with old friends.

Chris reminds me that everyone believes “their” lake is the best. But that’s what I’m talking about. Way to come together y’all.

“We can’t plan life. All we can do is be available for it.” – Lauren Hill


No comments:

Post a Comment