Thursday, January 7, 2016

Phase II underway


While I was in Florida helping my brothers guide our dying mother out of this life, Loveless was under construction.

The timing was all wrong to be sure. But when the builder appears, the client better be ready. Or be ready to wait. So off we went in June on the stair tower + loft project. The goal was to be finished by August.

Well… this, too, has been on Loveless Time.

As of last weekend, the stairs have been framed in, 90 percent of the drywall is done and primed, and most of the wood flooring has been installed. Home stretch, baby.

Builder Brook Waalen is a gem. He understands my vision, has solved unexpected problems (hence the delayed timeline) and been patient with all my waffling and changes.

Sure it’s a bit whacked to be working on Phase II when there’s still no shower or bathroom sink. And there’s a boatload of drywall still to do in the bedrooms. But I’m so overjoyed to have the ability to move from the upstairs to the downstairs -- without running outside and up a snow-covered hill -- that it’s easy to be patient. Plus, the project has opened up the weeHouse and let in even more natural light.

“I really like the skyscraper,” said neighbor Scott, tapping into my continued mortification about how TALL this whole thing is.


Yet, I totally agree. Chris and I can't wait to hang out in the loft, which truly is in the treetops.

View from the weeHouse kitchen.
Blends into the trees.
Siding will get put up in the spring.

1 comment: