Monday, June 18, 2012

My mind is in the gutter


Our primary goal for the overnight (along with setting up the bed) was to hang gutters. We quickly discovered that I'm much more effective as Chris' Lovely Assistant when I'm handing him tools than when I'm helping him do actual work.

We got one gutter piece hung before Chris decided to call in reinforcements. Our friend Mike won't be able to make it to Loveless until later in the week -- and four days of rain are forecast between now and then.

I've become quite the white knuckler these days.

The Thinker


As for the mud slide on the hill, I met a landscaper Saturday morning who said our most expedient solution would be to bring in some black dirt and throw down some grass seed. Argh. There go my plans for a mower-free property!

I’m letting go (temporarily) of my ideal vision of a hillside covered with ferns, wildflowers and native shrubs. At this point, I need to stop the bleeding. After a little research, I found a variety of sedge that’s native to Polk County and thrives in loamy soils like mine. That -- and the idea that I can add native plants and rain gardens later -- seems to be taking the edge off.

For the time being, there's going to be a little more hiring and a lot less sweat equity than I’d banked on. Poor Chris. He's still in a decent amount of pain and will be hobbled up for weeks to come.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the first overnighter! Please send all the rain down here, and you can have this heat, OK?

    ReplyDelete