Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The art of a deal

Some recent fortune cookie wisdom


I’m now trying to buy the cabin on wheels, where talks suddenly have gotten funky. Can’t tell if there’s another buyer in the wings or whether I’m getting a little Cityslicker blowback or who knows what all. I'm having to work through the builder, who co-owns the moving company but doesn't own the cabin. His partner/excavator is dealing with Mr. Cabin Seller, who now doesn’t seem to want to deal at all. It's been five days since my offer.

Are negotiation and compromise dead? I can’t find it in my newsroom, where our union faced an unnecessarily aggressive management proposal and voted to extend a concessionary contract we bargained when the Star Tribune filed for bankruptcy. I can’t find it in my state, where dysfunction and bullheadedness shut down the government for a record 20 days this summer. I can’t find it in my country, where lawmakers played such brinksmanship over raising the debt ceiling that Standard & Poor lowered its credit rating. The market is not happy.

The good news: if the fixer-upper cabin deal doesn’t work out, I’ve got lots of great ideas for what I can build on Loveless. (And if the financial meltdown continues, maybe we'll just camp out for a spell...)

No comments:

Post a Comment