Thursday, August 11, 2011

An August surprise

I’m now the proud owner of a “pre-owned” cabin. But it’s not the fixer-upper sitting on the side of Hwy. 8. It’s a fabulous weeHouse!!!

It’s actually a wee, weeHouse – slightly smaller than Alchemy Architect’s studio version. It had a past life doing double duty as promotion for weeHouses and a showroom office for the Saturn Sky convertible.
The only things missing are a bathroom and stove. Otherwise, it’s top-notch: bamboo floors and walls, Ikea kitchen, Andersen windows, maintenance-free steel siding and a gigantic and awesome cedar deck.
Alchemy will help me design and build a bedroom +bathroom to add on, and then we’ll be ready to roll it the 20 miles or so down Wisconsin Hwy. 35 from her current home in Siren, Wis.
I considered buying it last summer when I first started my hunt for distressed lakefront property, but decided it was out of my price range. In fact, it was this story about a weeHouse near Duluth, which I checked out with my Realtor, got me musing about a cabin in the woods in the first place.
By dumb luck I just happened to go to Alchemy's web site (I was looking for a bunkhouse to build instead of a cabin) and saw that the price had dropped more than a wee bit. I jumped on the chance. My land is mostly cleared and I was already geared to move a building twice that size onto Loveless. All the makings of good chemistry (set).
So, yes! A far cry from the log cabin on wheels. Had those folks not left me hanging for a week – with an offer priced at the builder's suggestion – I’d be writing a different tale altogether. Just as much fun, I’m certain, but very different.

No comments:

Post a Comment